When I think about orange, Greek pottery springs to mind. This design I’ve done twice before, once handpainted and once stamped. I’m using the stamping plates from Moyou London explorer collection, plate 18 that I didn’t stamp with last time.
I started with a base of Max Factor “Satsuma” and using the cling film technique added Essence “Happy” and Loreal 805 (a brown/gold colour). After stamping I applied a matte top coat.
The stamp I’ve used on the thumb, despite being on Suki plate 06, has always looked Greek to me. Back tomorrow with yellow.
An InLinkz Link-up
I had many ideas for the theme historical, but thought it would be fun to go with Marie Antoinette. I used this picture from the movie for inspiration.
This was a very challenging portrait to paint and it didn’t help that I decided to make the shadows lighter and give it more of a painterly look halfway through! Every time I paint a tiny portrait, I swear its the last!
For the Marie Antoinette nail I started with a base of OPI “Diva of Geneva” and stamped with Essence “Gold Digger” and Messy Mansion plate MM06. Marie is painted with polish, watercolour and acrylic paint. For the other nails, I used the colours from the movie as inspiration and painted decorative Rococo like swirls in leadlighting craft paint! I like the golden swirls, they give the effect I wanted. As for Marie Antoinette…off with her head! Oh wrong movie 😉
Steampunk is a design I have been wanting to do for ages! I took inspiration from this picture…
I started with two coat of China Glaze “Watermelon Rind”, I then sponged some A England “St. George” lightly over the top and finished with a matte top coat. Next I stamped with China Glaze “Cherish” and plates BM-H16, BM-21, RA-120 and Moyou London explorer collection 17.
I had bought some tiny watch gears on Ebay ages ago especially for this purpose, so I stuck them on with quick dry top coat, along with some copper coloured craft foil that I had. I have a million watch gears, give or take a thousand, so expect some more Steampunk soon.
Here is another design that I wasn’t happy with the first time around so I have revisited it. See the original nails here.
I have printed this image below onto clear waterslide decal paper, cut out the sections that I liked and hey presto….manuscript nails.
If you would like to make your own decals, I have a more detailed description in this post. I did discover that the decals lose their stickyness over time or perhaps when exposed to air. More research needed!
I’ve done this design before for the theme futuristic. The first time around I wanted to stick bits of circuit board to my nails, I mentioned this to a friend and before I knew I was the proud owner of three dead mobile phones. More for my collection!
I gently pried little components off the circuit boards with pliers. I stamped with BM-415 and then stuck on the little pieces randomly with quick dry topcoat (Seche Vite).
These were fun to make, especially the discovery of the yellowish electronic tape and the tiny little weird piece on the index finger. I dismantled everything I could get out of these phones, they’ve been recycled in a different way.
Another quick post today. For the prompt “fun”, I am trying to imitate the look of Greek pottery on my nails. I have done this theme before and spent quite a while hand painting the figures. See this post.
I started with a base of orange, pale yellow and brown applied with cling film. Over that I stamped with various images from Moyou plate 18 from the Explorer collection and filled in bits here and there with black acrylic paint, so it would look more like pottery. I love this look!
I have done this look before, but it turned out pretty damn average. I just couldn’t get that honey colour of amber looking right. So it’s been on my to revisit list for awhile and has given me a chance to save dead mosquitoes. If you’ve visited me before, you’ll know…. I save dead things, maybe I’m a little bit macabre?
I’m happy with the amber effect and achieved it by mixing together brown, yellow and orange polish and adding lots of clear. At first I applied two coats and trapped the insects in it. Then I added touches of Nfu-Oh 59 sparingly, which is a dark beer bottle colour with orange flakies. Added some el cheapo orange multi sized glitter and quiet a few layers of top coat, as I’m sure you can see, to help give the glass like look.
Not at all practical and most of you will think…”YUCK, that’s just gross!” But I had fun, it was challenging to do and photograph. Emma from Manicurity has also done this look, check her’s out here.
Like I can ever just stop at one design! I was actually going to try to get on old circuit board, dismantle it and try to stick bits to my fingernails, but I didn’t have one. So over a base of green polish, I used a silver nail art pen to draw dots and lines. Then I added a black rectangle to look like a chip and stamped with various numbers and letters that were the right size. Who would have thought there could be a use for these parts of the plates, the manufacturers numbers! To create the look of solder, I used a dotting tool and chrome polish over the dots I’d drawn with silver pen. The more polish I added, the more they looked like solder!
So here we are at the end of the time periods challenge. I was thinking sleek, minimal and combined that with my love of chrome nails. These are just press on ones from the supermarket and are kind of dull as far as nail art goes, but do look pretty amazing in person. I think they need led lights or lasers coming out of them to be really futuristic!